Wednesday, July 2, 2014

My Third Week As An Administrator

Not only am I a first year principal at Weatherly Heights Elementary, I am completing my last 3 courses toward a masters in Instructional Leadership.  I will finish up and graduate from Samford University this summer.  One of the courses I am taking is an instructional technology course EDUC 597.  We have explored numerous websites and 2.0 web tools that can be used by administrators and in the classroom.  The group I  worked with using Google Hangout decided to discuss the future and technology in the classroom.  We talked about managing cell phones and social media.  One of the member's school system is using BYOD, and the students already know how to use most of these devices.   While on the other hand, teachers and the administration must keep up with the latest technologies and web tools through training and professional development.  Our conclusion was that we must teach students to use technology responsible and take advantage of all the opportunities and information at their fingertips.  We must prepare our students to be college and career ready to prepare them for the 21st Century global workforce.

I also went to Weatherly and the interior painting is almost complete.  Everything looks so fresh and clean.  The teachers should be excited to see their classrooms and hallways freshly painted.  The classroom floors are now being striped and waxed.  I also emailed and called the 3rd through 5th grade teachers to say hello and  invite them for training with "Teacher's College Home Grown Writing Institute".  One of our focus areas will be writing this coming school year.  It was really nice talking with each one of them and I look forward to meeting several of them at the workshop.

It has been a busy week with 2 finials and trying to make sure materials are ordered, we are registered for the writing institute and it can be paid for, and that all 3-5th grade teachers are contacted and willing to attend the training.  All I can say is WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment